The Offensive Security once again recently released the third new version of Kali Linux this year, and it’s dubbed as Kali Linux 2021.3.
Offensive security used to release a Kali linux versions update each and every year with new feature, in order to provide the best experience for the cybersecurity community.
This is the third update for this year since Kali Linux 2021.1 was released in February 2021, and Kali linux 2021.2 released on June.
Along with the new downloadable version of Kali Linux 2021.3, Offensive Security has also added many new features and new hacking tools with this new release.
Here one of the most interesting and fun facts is that you can even run this new version of Kali Linux on your TicHunter Pro smartwatch as well. This Linux distribution is based on Debian since it’s for ethical hackers and professional penetration testers.
The implementation of Kali Linux 2021.3 into TicHunter Pro is still in its origin, so, the introduction of the world’s first Kali Linux-powered smartwatch is forthwith.
While the developers have claimed that the hardware has some limitations like a small battery that will not be able to provide enough voltage for any OTG adapter, and no big antennas, as it’s not possible to stick those antennas into your wrist.
But apart from this, they also claimed that the future will be very promising since they are working hard to bring support for Nexmon and the internal use of Bluetooth.
What’s New in Kali Linux 2021.3?
Here we have enlisted all the changes and newly added features by Offensive Security in Kali Linux 2021.3, and they are mentioned below:-
- OpenSSL: Wide compatibility by default.
- New Kali-Tools site: Following the footprints of Kali-Docs, Kali-Tools has had a complete refresh.
- Better VM support in the Live image session: Copy & paste and drag & drop from your machine into a Kali VM by default.
- New tools: From adversary emulation to subdomain takeover to Wi-Fi attacks.
- Kali NetHunter smartwatch: First of its kind, for TicHunter Pro smartwatch.
- KDE 5.21: Plasma desktop received a version bump.
New Hacking Tools in Kali Linux 2021.3
Just like the previous versions, this new version, Kali Linux 2021.3 also comes with a new set of tools to fulfill all your hacking demands.
This includes the following new hacking tools to fulfill all your hacking needs are mentioned below:-
- Berate_ap: It’s for orchestrating MANA rogue Wi-Fi Access Points.
- CALDERA: It’s for scalable automated adversary emulation platform.
- EAPHammer: It’s for targeted evil twin attacks against WPA2-Enterprise Wi-Fi networks.
- HostHunter: Recon tool for discovering hostnames using OSINT techniques.
- RouterKeygenPC: Generate default WPA/WEP Wi-Fi keys.
- Subjack: Subdomain takeover.
- WPA_Sycophant: Evil client portion of EAP relay attack.
Desktop & Theme Updates
While now if we talk about the changes in the desktop space, then Offensive Security has made some changes and here they are mentioned below:-
- For the Xfce’s notifications and logout-dialog, they have improved the GTK3 theme.
- For a better fit of older programs, they have redesigned the GTK2 theme.
- For the GNOME and Xfce, they have improved the Kali-Dark and Kali-Light syntax-highlighting themes.
Download Kali Linux 2021.3
You can download the new version of Kali Linux, (Kali Linux 2021.3) in both variants, 32-bit and the 64-bit for the following platforms from the official website:-
- Apple M1 platforms
- ARM and other mobile platforms
- As a virtual image for various VM implementations
Now you can use the following command to update your system to the latest Kali Linux 2021.3:-
sudo apt update && sudo apt -y full-upgrade
If you are already having a Kali Linux and want to upgrade;
[email protected]:~$ echo “deb http://http.kali.org/kali kali-rolling main non-free contrib” | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list
[email protected]:~$ sudo apt update && sudo apt -y full-upgrade
[email protected]:~$ [ -f /var/run/reboot-required ] && sudo reboot -f
For new installation you can download from here.
To check after upgradation for Kali Linux 2021.3;
[email protected]:~$ grep VERSION /etc/os-release
You are also recommended to review our Kali Linux Tutorials which cover dozens of Kali Linux Tools. Also, Learn the Kali Linux course and complete Kali Linux Commands List.
You can follow us on Linkedin, Twitter, Facebook for daily Cybersecurity and hacking news updates.